white spot on iris + pain
My husband has severe eye pain right now, and a white spot on his iris, near the edge, half-moon shaped. History: He has  recurring condition with eye pain for which he has been prescribed Tobradex in the past, and that has helped. (I think the condition is something like "staph ulceration," but I am not sure of the name, and he is trying to get some sleep right now.) Insurance will no longer pay for Tobradex so now he is using a generic, which is not helping. Don't know whether it is not helping because it is generic or because he has a different condition at the moment. He has never had the white spot on the eye before. Is this something that we need to go to the ER for? (It is after 10 p.m.)
This is probably a marginal ulcer and due to blepharitis.  If the blepharitis is treated this will usually not recur.  The treatment is lid hygiene and steroids for the marginal ulcer if it recurs.  Tobradex contains tobramycin and a steroid.  Going to the ER is a waste of time.

Dr. O.