Eye Care Community
why do i see in a round plate-like area ?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to eye care, cataracts, glaucoma, retinal detachment, eye infections, misaligned eyes, intra-ocular implants, refractive surgery (LASIK and CK), glasses, contact lenses, amblyopia, eye injuries, dry eyes, ocular allergy, eye pain and discomfort, pediatric eye disorders, eyelid and tearduct surgery, poor eyesight, and eye surgery.

Seems to be only at night when i have gone to bed and closed my eyes for a few minutes that what i see when i open my eyes is 'framed' in a circle like the area of a plate.   It is as if i see a camera shutter in progressive stages of opening. The more the shutter opens the more I see.  The room is usually nearly dark and it goes away quickly if I keep my eyes open.  However, if I open and close them several times in quick repetition, it will repeat each time. So far, it has never failed to go away.  As I use a computer many hours of each day, I have to wonder if it is related.

Probably myopic since birth, but, only discovered when I couldn't keep up in first grade.  I was in high school before I was properly fit with glasses.  My mother cried when she realized that I had lived that long and hadn't even seen the individual leaves on trees unless I was VERY close to them.  I am 67 years old now.  I have had high blood pressure  since I was 40 years old which is hard to control and some minor cardiac problems.  My families have arthritis running rampant through them and I certainly have my share of it.  Several doctors have pointed to the fact that I have a high threshold for pain which must be the contributing factor to how hard it is for any cardiologist to get a grip on my blood pressure.  It is somewhat like riding a roller coaster.  High -- low --- all over the place.  It is the the stated opinion of my cardiologist that I have arthritic pain that exists long before I feel it.  His approach has been to prescribe small doses of a pain killer which I take every day when I take my other meds.  Guess what?  It does seem that that has made a marked positive effect.  The blood pressure is not what I would like it to be but, at least, we do manage now to keep it mostly under 150.  

One other thing I need to mention, is that I have taken Serrapeptase and Nattokinase 3x daily for one month 4 months ago.  About 2 weeks after I started taking it, the mild angina which I have experience almost daily for years has become almost non-existent.  I have used nitroglycerin patches for years to control it.  Now, I haven't used even one in the last 3 months.

This may be a migraine variant.  Please see a neurologist.

Dr. O.