wrinkled retina
I have been told by 2 ophthalmologists that I can't see in my left eye after  vitrectomy surgery because I have a wrinkled retina. It is like looking thru fog & things are distorted.

I am now under the care of a different ophthalmologist who specializes in retinas. He said my retina is not that wrinkled & he has patients with the same degree of wrinkled retina & they can see. He doesn't understand why I can't see.

Could I  have a bad lens implant. He did say that the lens was "off" a little bit but should not affect my vision. I also have a permanently dilated pupil. It can't close due to scar tissue on the iris. He doesn't want to do any surgery as he said it would cause more trauma.

Any thoughts on the lens implant being bad? Also can a lens be "fingered up" before being put in the eye which would cause not being able to see thru it. When the 1st dr. did the surgery, they took the lens reading off my good eye because they could not get a reading on the bad eye. Even corrective eyeglasses don't help any. I do wear eyeglasses.
Did I get it right? The surgeon put in a lens which had the data of the other eye.
I think that should be called malpractice.
And no one can be surprised that you can't see anything.
You will need an exchange of the IOL.
But don't act too quickly!
Your eye was traumatized several times and you have to be really cautious.
It is common practice to get the measurement from the good when it is not possible to get the information from the bad eye.

A refraction would show the vision potential of the eye even if the IOL power is not correct.

You did not mentioned what lead up to the vitrectomy.  Did you have trauma?

Dr. O.
I had a detached retina. Before the Dr. did the vitrectomy surgery, he had a lens implant made just in case something happened to my lens during surgery. He said nothing happened to my lens but he put in the lens implant anyway so that I would not have to have cataract surgery in a year which he said usually happens.

Now I cannot see out of the lens implant. Could it be because it was made off of the other eye's lens? If so, can anything be done to correct this?
No, as mentioned in my previous answer, a refraction (glasses correction) will improve vision.  If not, there is probably damage to the retina.

Dr. O.
Make sure you don't have a "secondary" cataract, or optic nerve damage.
You obviously have retinal damage, which is probably contributing to most of your vision problems, especially the distortion.

The IOL measurements that are taken of your "good" eye to make IOL calculations for the "bad" eye is as Dr. O. says standard practice (and is NOT the reason for your current vision problems). If after a few attempts to get accurate axial length, AC depth, and corneal power of the "bad" eye fails, than the next best option is to take measurements of the "good" eye and use those or sometimes go for a plano lens.

Yes, cataract surgery is usually necessary for patients who have undergone a vitrectomy for RD.

If the eyeglasses you have now were Rx-ed before your surgery get a new refraction.
I was allowed to get new glasses about 6 mos. after the last surgery. At first I was given a lens that I could see better but only with my good eye closed. Together, my eyes didn't focus & I could not see my computer screen thru the middle range of the glasses when before I could. I have no line bi-focals. Went back & dr. gave me a stronger lens in bad eye & still could not see computer. My main complaint was computer work.

Went to different optometrist & was given "balanced" lens which I currently have had for about 2 yrs. Can now see computer work but still can't see out of bad eye even with glasses. Balanced lens is same prescription glass in both sides. By the way, was told that 1st optometrist ordered lens out of wrong material. Don't remember what it was. I have a very high index with astigmatism.  

Thanks everybody for the information. I have my 3 month follow up with the ophthalmologist tomorrow. He says he doesn't understand why I can't see. He has 12 yrs. experience, trained in University of India and Boston.