Eye Care Expert Forum
wrong power in lens replacement during cataract surgery

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

I had cataract surgery about 6 weeks ago.  I now have less vision (far and close) in the eye that had the surgery

the doctor said that the wrong power lens was probably calculated and my options are :glasses, contacts lasik or a lense exchange

How can the power calculation be so far off? I can barely see anything

is this a doctor mistake?

I have opted for the lense exchange if my insurance will pay for it - I cannot handle contacts and glasses get to complicated as I have had to retinal strokes in my other eye

Pleas etell me how this mistake can happen

I was so excited to have the chance to see better and now I am devastated and driving myself crazy by closing one eye and hoping I can see better out of the other

M
Tags: cataracts
You can use the search feature, archives and health topics to look up previous discussions about calculations of IOL power. IT IS NOT AN EXACT SCIENCE.  Generally MOST (But NOT ALL) patients end up + or - 0.50 diopters of the expected results but 10% may end up more than + or - 1.50 diopters or more off the expescted results.

JCH III MD
I still don't understand how it is so far off to require a lens exchange

could my lens been someone else's
You have not stated how far "off" your IOL is.  Also the formulas don't work nearly as well for very farsighted, very nearsighted, very astigmatic eyes and eyes with previous RK or lasik.

JCH IIIMD
After spending over $2500.00 on each eye to have cataracts removed-- my eye sight is not much better.There is a film like substance that covers both eyes when trying to read or drive.It has been well over  nine months now having surgery. and my Doctor is ,like "what can I tell you? Come back in six months and "WE" will check it out ! ! ! What do you think??
I think you need a second opinion from a reputable Eye MD cataract surgeon. Find one at www.aao.org

JCH MD
Sorry I didn't get back sooner

re:  less vision after cataract surgery - I went from seeing about 4 lines on the E chart to not seeing the E chart because of total blur

went back to the doctor and he said the new lens was miscalculated and am having it replaced in 20 days

did the doctor make a mistake with the calculations

Thanx
Ask him.

JCH IIII MD
I am considering multi-focal lens replacement but have heard two reports of 'halos' around lights (night vision) that have not decreased in 3 or 4 months.  Anyone experienced this or have information on frequency of this happening?

Sharon Marler    ***@****
Use the search feature and read the many unhappy reports from patients with multifocal IOLs. If you go that way best avoid the ReZoom IOL.

JCH III MD
Similar to "M" above, my Mom will have surgery to replace an incorrect lens from her cataract surgery (about a month ago) tomorrow morning. I am so worried about her and have searched the internet to find out how this can happen and what the risks are from having the corrective surgery. She doesn't know if the insurance will cover it but she wants to much to have her eyesight corrected. I can't find information on whether this surgery is usually successful or not. I pray for anyone in this situation. Please pray for my Mom. Thank you.

V
IOL power exchange surgery is usually very successful.
JCH III MD
I've been miserable after having a multifocal lens implant a year and a half ago for all the same reasons as others.  My questions is -- Is it true that there is a significant risk of retinal detachment if I replace the lens with a monovision?  My doctor has already tried prk, oitments, pills and drops.  Am currently using alphagan.
You are at increased risk for RD because you have had cataract/IOL surgery. The risk of RD is not higher with multifocal than monofocal. The risk of an RD will not increase with a second operation unless there is a compllication like capsular tear or vitreous loss. You will have the standard risks of another operation: infection bleeding swelling of the macula.

JHC III MD
when the computer allowed.
--
I am 32years old and diagnosed in childhood with Bilateral nuclear congenital cataract and I am interested in having an eye surgery. I can read very well but I can`t see well at far. I wear glasses but I can`t drive a car.  I am a layer and I would like to take the driving license. I would like a piece of advice in that matter: is it an eye surgery the solution to my problem? could you give me some details about this surgery, the effects and risks?
after the cataract surgery do you think I will be able to get that driving license?
Ian
Many people with congential cataract have subnormal vision because they eyes have amblyopia due to the cataracts. They don't develop to their full potential. If you have never seen 20/20 then cataract surgery will not restore normal vision.

The questions you ask can only be answered by an Eye MD that has examined your eyes and that can talk to you in person. In the USA find an Eye MD at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
Thank you for previous information concerning my multifocal iol problems.  I am happy to report that after a year and a half of trying to rectify the problems without replacement surgery, I used 1% Pilocarpine and today, for the first time since January 2007, I drove tonight with absolutely no ghosting, blurring or halos.  I'm not a doctor and couldn't say if it will work for everyone, but I tried everything else and this seems to have done the job!
Glad it worked. Watch for increase of floaters, flashes or curtain or veil over peripheral vision. Have your pupils dilate widely at least once a year to check the retina and to prevent the pupil from fibrosing shut.

JCH III MD
A related discussion, cataract lens  miscalculated was started.