Eye Care Expert Forum
x-ray damage?

Our Ask-A-Doctor Eye Care Forum is where you can post your question and receive a personal answer from physicians affiliated with the American Academy of Ophthalmology.

x-ray damage?

I had a neck x-ray done by a chiropractor a few days ago and I wasn't wearing any protection for my eyes (he didn't provide me with any). From the x-ray pictures I could clearly see it included the eye region. Can this cause significant damage to the eyes? The reason I ask is because my eyes have been feeling different and might be the cause of my headaches since I took the x-rays. I have that "slept with my contacts" feeling constantly.

Should I be worried about having my eyes exposed by a few x-rays?

Thanks!
Tags: x-rays, eyes
No concern.  Modern X-ray machines don't have enough radiation to cause any significant damage.  You should of course limit the number you have and not get them done if not necessary.

HV