Family Health Expert Forum
Addiction to hypertension medication?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Addiction to hypertension medication?

My mom is 59 yrs. old and has suffered from migraines since early childhood. Her HMO doctor prescribed Imitrex a few years ago, but said that it was mandatory she take hypertension medication in conjunction with it, even though she did not have high blood pressure. The doctor explained that when someone experiences a migraine their blood pressure goes up, and the blood pressure medication would help alleviate the migraine symptoms and also decrease the frequency of migraines. Now she takes an Imitrex daily, I believe because they are causing rebound headaches, and she cannot stop taking the hypertension medication because her blood pressure skyrockets when she tries to quit. She has seen another doctor recently who told her he had never heard of prescribing hypertension medication along with Imitrex, but said now she cannot quit taking it because she needs it to control her blood pressure. Is this medication addicting? She believes there's nothing she can do about it now, and I am desperate to find some answers.