Family Health Expert Forum
Allergies with wheezing?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Allergies with wheezing?

I'm 24 years old, in good health.  I am allergic to peanuts/treenuts, and I'm also allergic to pollens, mostly Evergreen Pollen, but I do have symptoms during the "traditional" allergy season as well, so pretty much year-round.  I have no history of asthma, and no family history of asthma. I take Chlorpheniramine Maleate 12mg BID.  Yesterday I spent some time clearing out some land in a forested area.  Last night I started to get wheezy, it felt like I couldn't get a full breath, and was coughing.  I'm guessing that it had to do with being exposed to the pollens.  This is the only time I've ever felt like that.  Can allergies cause an asthma attack?  If it happens once, is it more likely to occur again now?  I've experienced anaphalaxis more than once, so I know how that feels, and this was different, there wasn't the swelling in the throat/tounge or anything.
Yes, allergies can most definitely lead to an asthmatic attack.  It is also possible for the reaction to recur.

I would consider a referral to an allergist for possible allergy testing.  Avoidance of the allergen, allergy shots, or medications can help in reducing the allergic reaction.

In addition, consideration should be made to optimize the various inhalers that are used to control the asthma.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Every since I was little everytime i would go to the beach and get in the water I would break out in little red bumps all over my body.  And my eyes would get really red and blood shot. My dr. just told me to take some kind of alergy (allergy) med before going into the water.  Last at work, someone thought it would be funny to dump a ton of salt (the big chunks) into my drink. Well when i went to drink it, it was nothing but salt.  Throught out my work shift I got a little itchy but just thought it was from being hot and ready to go home my whole body was broken out in those little red bumps again, and it itched a little but not a lot.  Most of the bumps where on my chest, tummy and back.  Only a few where on my legs and arms.  And Im wondering if my reaction was to the salt that they put into my drink.  I dont have any problems eating salty food.  But im not too sure what else could have caused it.
A related discussion, Allergies was started.