Family Health Expert Forum
Ankle nerve pain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Ankle nerve pain

I have ongoing right ankle pain post an inversion injury where I sprained my ankle, 5 months ago, while I was running down some steps on a steep walking track.

My initial xray was normal. Physiotherapy didn't help. I got an MRI which showed a ganglion cyst through the posterior talofibular ligament, plus another smaller cyst, plus some tenosynovitis of the flexor hallucis longus.

I went and saw an orthopaedic surgeon who recommended that I get the biggest cyst aspirated and a cortisone injection, which helped a little bit, but the pain returned after 4 weeks.

I went and saw a different (and way better) physiotherapist, but I didn't respond.

I went and got a bone scan two days ago which was normal - so the problem is not my bones.

The pain is intermittent, last a few seconds but can be quite debilitating. I'm on panadeine forte to help with the pain but I hate taking it as it constipates me (not good as I also have irritable bowel syndrome). I'm extremely fed up with this pain and find it very depressing. I'm a nurse and I spend all day on my feet at work, so this is not helping either.

I'm thinking that maybe the cyst has grown back (the doctor couldn't even get all of it out at the time). I think that it maybe impinging on a nerve and causing the pain. I have flat/pronated feet (for which I wear orthotics), which is possibly why I have a cyst in the first place (the surgeon said the cyst wasn't caused by the ankle sprain but that the sprain probably flared it up somehow when the ligament stretched or tore.

I'm wondering if anybody on here has ever had a similar story, and what happened? Has anyone ever had surgery to fix their nerves? I have a feeling this is the way I'm heading....

thanks for query.
The problem as you said is not with the bones. Some how your ankle is not getting proper support during work and the muscles and tendons remains under pressure and that is the reason why you have pain. Please check your foot wears and working style. You can consult a podiatrist to design your foot wear as per need and then I think your pain should go.

Wishing you good health.
Thanks for your advice. Perhaps I do need to go and revisit my podiatrist for some further advice on my footwear and orthotics. I probably need some custom shoes to fit my orthotics properly and give me support....