Family Health Expert Forum
Anyone have any ideas

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Anyone have any ideas

Does anyone have any ideas?
I am a 22 male, in relatively great physical condition. About 5-6 months ago, I began to have bad asthma problems. The doctor put me on both singular and zyertc(Spelling). Within a couple of weeks after that or so, I had mono, which i did not even know. The doctor had me take a test with a Epstein Bar (again spelling??) The doctor said everyhing was in the past. For this whole time, I have had swollen glands in my throat. Recently the glands have become a small ball that seems to switch sides. The doctor put me on a month of ammoxicillin. After the last check up the doctor recommened like 15 test. Including another mono, various other test, allergy, Thryoid, HIV and other STD test. Everything has come back negative. I have had a sore throat for 6 months now and it is starting to get annoying. THe other thing is that my glands in my arm pits and around my hip in my groin, are becoming bothersome. My questions are this...
1- Does anyone have any ideas what this can be . I know you dont have all my medical history. But any ideas would be great. The doctors wants me to see an infectious disease person, and that is freaking me out.
2- WHen the doctor mentioned HIV, i began to think, then start to worry. I had unprotected sex once in college about 6-7 months ago. It was for a matter of seconds until i sobered up and recgonized what i was doing. I had an HIV test in Nov and then ago in Dec and everything was okay. I have had no other symptons. The main thing is that yes i was tested and everything was negative, But since the end of Dec, my glands in my arms and groin, have began to swell. Is there anyway there is a connection here?
If anyone has any ideas that would be great.
To answer your questions:
1) It sounds like you have had a pretty comprehensive evaluation.  Testing for HIV and STDs would be my recommendation as well.  An infectious disease evaluation makes sense.  

If the glands in the axilla are persistant, a biopsy of the affected areas would be recommended for a more definitive diagnosis.  

2) With two negative HIV tests, it is very unlikely that HIV is present.  Either bacterial or viral infection continues to be the most likely possibility.  Cancer is also possible (which can be evaluated by biopsying the lymph nodes).

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
Start a daily journal keeping it short/easy of good or bad day
& what you did/ate/etc. Get copies of all test reports from
Dr. for a hm-health-file. Allows you to know what was tested
& if you get worse, you can take copies w/ you to help new
fill-in doc. Once you have mono, EBV test almost always shows
positive.  Many auto-immune illness have a positive. See if
ANA w/titer was run. I'm sure you'll be having more tests.
Swollen lymphs usually mean infection some place. Could be
major or minor problem. Wish you well.