Family Health Expert Forum
Arm fatigue and muscle cramps

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Arm fatigue and muscle cramps

For the last 3 years, I've been having problems with fatigue in my hands and arms. Now when I wake up, my calf muscles feel cramped. I have noticed that when I'm drifting off to sleep my arms "fall asleep" and when I wake up from the pain of the numbness, the tingling goes away. I can be resting for hours in one position without problems and as soon as I fall asleep (without shifting position), I notice my arms instantly become numb. My chest muscles will also "lock up" and tighten after extended use. I have had an EMG, nerve conduction, MRI of the brain and c-spine, neurological workup, numerous blood tests, physical therapy, stress echo, xrays, hair analysis, etc.. All were negative for ALS, MS, carpal tunnel, etc. The only findings were mild high blood pressure, elevated CPK, moderate arsenic in hair, not allergic to gluten, and extra wings on c-spine vertebrae (xray). I am stumped at what this could be and very concerned that if this continues I will lose function in my arms. I don't know where to go. The neurologist said it's "all in my head", surgeons want to cut me open to explore, and the other GP doctors just want to stick me on high blood pressure medicine. I have seen eight doctors over three years and nobody can tell me what's wrong. I'm going broke trying to figure it out. I am very scared and don't know who to turn to.
Difficult to say without evaluation.  You have had a pretty comprehensive evaluation that would have ruled out many of the major neurological disorders.  

You can consider aldolase levels or a muscle biopsy as further testing.  These are highly specialized tests and should be discussed with your neurologist.  

If the tests continue to be non-revealing, a second opinion should be sought - preferably at a major academic medical center.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I think this could be due to spasm in muscles and may not worry.