BLOOD RESULTS
I recently had some blood work done (routine).  I was little concern when my doctor told me my Trigs were 276 and my HDLC was 22.  Eventhough I was concern I been having a long term battle with these #s.  However, what concerned me more then my Dr. was the # he told me for the LDL which was 50!  Now I know its good to have low LDL, But is it good to have it this low?  My total Chol is 128.  My doctor felt it could be a lab error and was more concern in getting HDLC higher. Second concern on my blood test was my LYM #'s my LYM % was 17.5 and the other LYM result was .971.  Now, my doctor didn't even mention anything about the LYM. I picked it up when looking at the lab results.  Which is a mistake!  All other tests, CBC, WBC, RBC, etc. were all in normal range.  I'm concern about the LYM #'s?  Should I be?  I notice on the internet that some labs range on LYM is lower then my labs range which would've put me in the normal range.

Thanks!
Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.

Lets see if I can't help shed some light on these test results.

Triglycerides 276 - This is ABOVE the normal range (40-200). Causes for this include certain types of hyperlipidemias (familial), liver or kidney problems or this may also be increased due to alcohol intake.

HDL 22 -  The normal range in males is 33-57. Some males have a 'normally' low HDL. Other possibilities include liver or kidney problems or obesity.

LDL 50 - The normal range is 110-200. Possible causes for a LOW LDL include liver disease and malnutrition or problems with adequate food absorption in the intestinal tract.

Cholesterol 128 - The normal range is 130-200. Your level is slightly below the bottom of the normal range. Malnutrition, liver or kidney problems (including hepatitis) or steroid use may cause a decrease in the normal cholesterol level.

% lymphocytes (LYM) 17.5 - You mention the "CBC" is normal which tells me that the TOTAL number of white blood cells is normal. The abnormality is in the % of LYMs.
Causes for a decreased % of lymphcytes include some kidney problems and other viral illnesses. In 22% of the population the % lymphocyte count is NORMALLY below the normal range (normal range is 24-44%).

Overall, if you came to my office for me to review the findings above, I would suggest a blood test to check for liver and kidney function, a urinalysis and I would review your alcohol intake as well as any other medications you may be taking which could cause the abnormalities above. (i.e. steroids, etc). Also, a check of your "albumin" and "protein" levels may be in order to insure that you do not have a problem with the absorption of the foods you eat through the intestinal tract.

You may want to share this information with your doctor.

Reference: Clinicians Pocket Reference 6th addition.
A related discussion, Blood work results was started.