Family Health Expert Forum
Bleeding During Intercourse

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Bleeding During Intercourse

Two years ago I was experiencing bleeding during intercourse about 25% of the time - bright red and it would be all over me and my husband.  I went to an obgyn and he said that I was not ovulating -another clue my periods were very irregular- and that it was built up menstural blood being released during the pressure of intercourse.  He put me on the pill and that stopped it. (tests for STD's and polys were done and all negative)

Now, my husband and I are trying to get pregnant.  Since going off the pill 5 months ago my periods have been 28 days like clockwork. Recently, mid cycle I experienced pain on my lower left side and a store bought ovulation test was positive so we had intercourse and afterwards we discovered we were both covered in blood, bright red again and alot.  

What is going on? Am I ovulating or not?  Why would I bleed like this?
One possibility may be trauma from the act of intercourse.  There are also various infections that can cause these symptoms as well.  More serious causes would include cervical lesions or polyps.  

I would visit with your GYN for further evaluation.  Tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia should be considered - even if you aren't at high risk.  I would also consider a pelvic exam to evaluate the cervix for any lesions and to ensure that your PAP smear is up to date.  

If the bleeding continues, you may consider a second GYN opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, Minor pain and bleeding during intercourse was started.