Blood Count
I just had CBC done.The white blood cells counts were all within normal ranges.RBC was 4.2% below normal,HGB was 4.2%below normal,HGT was 7.7%below normal.All other RBC readings were within normal ranges.I was told by doctor that the abnormal readings were nothing to worry about.At what point do abnormal readings indicate a problem.I am now thinking that 4%-7% of normal is OK

Gary
There are many causes for a low blood count - i.e. with your blood counts below normal.  The causes would be dependent on your age.  It can be from simple blood loss (most commonly from the GI tract) or from various blood disorders (anemias).

One test that can help would be an MCV (mean corpuscular volume) which should be included in the blood count.  If low, it would suggest iron deficiency or thalassemia; if high, it would suggest b12 deficiency or alcohol use; if normal, it can suggest any chronic disease or blood loss.  

Without more information, it is impossible for me to say what is causing it.  In any case, this should be followed and repeated in 3 months to make sure that the blood count is stable.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
first, I'm not sure what you mean by, for example, Hct being 7.7% below normal. Hct is expressed as a percent. Normal for a male, is about 40 or above. Do you mean 7.7 below 40, which would be 32.7, or do you really mean 40 minus 7.7% of 40, meaning 37. I assume from your name you are male. You don't state what age, or why you had the CBC. It's not "normal" to be below normal. Men, especially, aren't usually below normal in red blood levels. So, whether or not it should be investigated further, and to what extent, depends on why you were having the test in the first place, and on what specifically your doctor says about the abnormality. If I were you, I'd ask him/her for a specific explanation.
A related discussion, My husband red cell count keeps on going down why? was started.