Family Health Expert Forum
Blood pressure lower lying down

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Blood pressure lower lying down

I have two questions:

I took my blood pressure today whild sitting upright and noticed that it was a little high - around 125/90. I took it again lying down and noticed that it was alot lower: 110/60. I was wondering what causes such a significant difference in blood pressure readings? The only other health problems have are that I am overweight and I (may) have a hiatal hernia.

As for my blood pressure, it is usually around 120/80. I'm not sure why it's higher today, but I recently started takend Rhinocort for nasal allergies. Could that cause a rise in blood pressure?

Thanks in advance for your response.
I am not aware of Rhinocort affecting the blood pressure that much.  

It may be possible that your heart rate increases as one stands, increasing blood pressure.  This can happen with episodes of volume depletion or venous pooling.  As the heart rate increases, blood pressure can increase.  As the volume depletion worsens, eventually the blood pressure will lower as one stands, rather than rise.  

This question can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Thanks for your reply.

I wanted to follow-up on what you said about "venous pooling". I'm not sure what that is, however, I was diagnosed with varicose veins in my left leg. Could the two be related?
It is not medically possible to provide an opinion without knowing (a) the pulse rate taken with each blood pressure (b) the arm (left or right).
Without knowing the pulse rate we cannot differentiate between a blood pressure difference due to venous compensation and cardiac compensation.