Family Health Expert Forum
Bloodborne Pathogens

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Bloodborne Pathogens

My 5 yo daughter was at a pool party at neighbors pool. When I arrived to pick her up I noticed that her toes were bleeding. As I looked around I noticed that the other childrens feet also had blood on them. Upon further investigation I found out that the bottom of the swimming pool had a section that had a rough surface which were cutting the bottoms of their feet. I did notice that their was also some blood outside of the pool in little spots were I was standing. Is their anything that my daughter can contract? I'm almost sure that her cut on her feet had to come in contact with blood on the outside of the pool. I'm realllly worried.
Yes, there is always the chance of infection since there was a break in the skin and exposure to the blood.

If symptoms arise, obtaining blood cultures as well as cultures of any wound should be done to exclude the possibility of infection.

This option can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Is exposure to diseases such as hepatitis or HIV likely?
there is no risk for hiv in this situation for a couple of reason. any chlorine will have killed any hiv. Also, hiv doesnt transmitt through environmental exposures. once hiv is outside if it host (thr human body) the virus begins to break down and lose its ability to infect. You should take this question over to the HIV Prevention section and ask this same question to the HIV specialist and hell tell if there was any risk for HIV or Hep
in this scenario hepatitis B or C is possible but very unlikely any of the other kids had it. now if it was adults bleeding all over then i would say it would be much more likely. many people have hepatitis and dont know it.