Family Health Expert Forum
Bloodwork questions - anemia
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Bloodwork questions - anemia

I had some lab work done on 9/27/04 and I just got the results and will be seeing my Doctor next week, however it is the weekend and I would like to hear something before next week. I have a history of gastric-by-pass surgery 4-5 years ago.
Here are the results from my lab work:
Vitamin B12 = 164
Iron Serum = 16
UIBC = 478
TIBC = 494
Iron Saturation = 3
Ferritin, Serum = 2
WBC= 5.2
RBC = 4.0
Hemoglobin = 8.7 & Hematocrit = 28.4
MCV = 71, MCH = 21.8, MCHC = 30.7
RDW = 17.4

With these levels, should I have any concerns? What type of other tests might they do?
Are these levels alright and should I be concerned? What are your thoughts? I also get very cold hands when tyoing or using a mouse and if I sit with my feet up in my seet they will lose sensation and get tingling.
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
With a low blood count, MCV, and ferritin level, the results are suggestive of iron-deficiency anemia.  Discussion of iron supplements should be made.

Now, the question is what is causing the iron deficiency.  GI malabsorption (i.e. from celiac sprue) should be evaluated.

Any adult with iron deficiency should also be evaluated for colon cancer - preferably a colonoscopy.

This should certainly be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0 Comments
Blank
Your B12 is very low - you might want to check with Dr.  I have to get B12 monthly injection to keep in normal range due tyo malabsorption problem.  Low B12 can cause fatigue, numbing in extremities and numerous other symptoms.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979