Family Health Expert Forum
Blotchy skin, low grad fever
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Blotchy skin, low grad fever

My grand-daughter who is 6 has this red blotchyness on her face, arms, legs, chest, and buttocks.  She's had a low grade fever (100-101) now for 2 1/2 days and is very irritable. The worse is on her face which shows up real red, I at first, thought she was sun-burned, because it was very warm to the touch.  My daughter thinks it may be Roseola, but I'm not sure.  She's had all her pre-school shots and boosters.  This blotchyness is not elevated on her body at all. She also has a sore throat.  Does this sound like Roseola to you?
Related Discussions
Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.
Well, Roseola is possible but what really comes to mind given the history you describe is an infection known as "fifth's disease" (erythema infectiosum). This is caused by a virus and is associated with a rash on the face which later spreads to the extremities. It is made worse by warmth.
A scarlatina rash is another possibility. This is diffuse almost "sandpaper like" rash that is present in patients with strep throat. Since she has a sore throat as well, this may be possible as well.
Allergic rashes are another possibility, but far less likely as allergic rashes are not typically associated with fever.
She obviously needs to see a doctor to be examined.

I hope this proves helpful to you!

Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank