Family Health Expert Forum
Breathing Problems of no known cause.
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Breathing Problems of no known cause.

Hi I am a 42 y/o fm who has been having problems breathing for 5 months now. It feels like I can't get a good breath in at times- like something contracts and I have to keep working at it for a while to get a breath. This tends to come and go and can last for 3-5 days at a time and then gets a little better for a few days. Also seemed like I might have been a little more winded than I would expect to be. It can occur with rest or activity.I have had a complete plumonary work up and my PCP and consult with the plumologist can not find out why this is and wonder if it is anxiety (possible but not very likely- I am a mental health therapist and do not feel like this is a typical presentation of anxiety and have had no prior sx until now at age 42, and do not feel associated anxiety with it).

Test Results:
1. Chest PA and Lateral:
Mild mid thoracic degenerative changes-no active cardioplum, disease
2. CT HI resolution thorax chest:
mild emphysematous change in L.lung base,. Minimal interstitial prominence also seen in L lung base- no cofluent infiltrates or bronchial wall thickening seen-Impression:" Nonspecific mild intersitial prominence in Llung base:.
3. CT chest with Contrast:
On filling defect is seen in plum.arteries to suggest embolus-No adenopathy is evident-nonenlarged axillary lymph nod-liver spleen pancreas appear normal. Impression:" no evidence of pulmonary embolus negative CT scan.
4. 1st PFT:
no airway obstuction or restriction. Reduced Diffusion Capacity.
5. 2nd PFT:
(asked to come in when sx were present but not sure if it my breathing was a problem at the exact time of the test)
"Normal results"
6.  Cardiplumonary test "OK"
8. Echocardiogram: MLV, trivial MR, SPS NSC
9. was on vacation where lots of tic diseases were- MD r/o tic disease with blood work.

Labs:
1. ANA: + A "low antiobodies", Pattern speckled A, 1:80 ( 2 y/o this was normal.
2. SED rate by modified Westergreen: rate of 7
3. ANCA: negative
4. Alpha-antitrypsin 133 normal
5. Rheumatoid factor is 10 (not sure if this was done thisyear)
6. CBC: Normal
7. Homocystein level is 6.4 TSH is 1.3

Family History:
mother:+ hypothyroid/heart diesase/cervical cancer
father:+ heart disease
Muncle:+ heart disease HA at 42
MGrandmother:+ Rheumatoid Arth.
MGfather;+ emphysemata/hear failue

My medical Hx:
former smoker- pack/day 11 years-quit 13 y/o
was in good shape was jogging 2-3 miles day until all this
Low grade fevers under 100 that come and go-(past 1-2 years)
little hair loss
-hx rashes on my trunk gone for a few years-current rash on neck "probably sun damage".
headaches with periods
minor sinus irritations off and on
no mental heatlh hx

Any sugguestions or thoughs you have would be greatly apprectiated- I wonder about auto immune problems? I have been very concerned about all this.
Thanks you for this service.