Family Health Expert Forum
Can anyone please help

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Can anyone please help

a few months ago my five year old child began to cross her eyes, she will not see anyone and seems to be lost in some sort of spasm, her body tenses up and her hands involuntarily closes and open as her entire body tenses up. it seems to happen the most when she is tired, but it can happen at any time. she is completely normal and healthy any other way. she has had regular check ups, and eye test and nothing ever appeared wrong. I asked her about it but she said did not realize she was doing it, and could not tell me what she had been doing. its almost like she looses time. I have been trying to snap her out of it when she is in that state and she just looks at me smiles and says "im doing the crazy face again, arent i mommy" whta do I do, do I take her to regular doctor? an eye doctor? or a neuroligists? please help!!! anyone at all.
Tags: years, child
There are multiple explanations for the movements you describe in your daughter, but I do recommend you have her checked out by her physician and a neurologist to make sure that these are not seizures.

It is impossible to know without knowing more about your daughter’s medical history, examining her, and doing an electroencephalogram (EEG) to look at neuron activity in her brain.

While it is possible that these are seizures, there are also other explanations such as psychogenic/pseudoseizures, staring or breathholding spells, or migraines. There are different types of seizures and sometimes children may simply stare in space for a few seconds (absence seizures). There are also grand mal seizures (loss of consciousness and diffuse jerking movements) and partial/complex partial seizures (shaking in only one part of the body or face with or without loss of consciousness), but it does not sound like your daughter is experiencing either of those.

Again, I think the best next step is having her see her doctor and a neurologist to come to a final diagnosis.
I have taken my daughter to her pediatrician who believes she has absence seizures, its a  scary prospect, but I can now move forward and will be takin her for an MRI and neuro consult, if any one have any questions that I should ask I would be most greatful since I am out of my depth in this field.

Thank you for responding