Family Health Expert Forum
Chest discomfort, palpitations
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Chest discomfort, palpitations

I am a 21 year old male, college student. Only history of heart disease is stroke in my grandparents. For the past week I've been having more an more discomfort in my chest. First couple of days, I only had it when I woke up or went to bed. Then since Tuesday I've been having it much of the day. Along with that my heart seems to be beating faster than normal, making me break into sweats at times including at night. The discomfort is mainly in the left side and is hard to describe. Generally it feels raw, like some object is crawling around. Sometimes I feel it coming from my heart, going up or down my esophogus and I get a lumpy feeling at the notch of my throat and upper chest, exacerbated by swallowing. The sensation makes me belch somestimes. I don't have any pain except that it hurts when I press on my left armpit. The feelings come and go. Sometimes I also get needle feelings in my fingers.

Worried it could be a heart problem, I saw my doctor Wednesday who did an EKG, chest xray, and listened to my heart. My EKG had a slight ST elevation, but everything else was normal. Went back 2 days later where I did another EKG, same result as before. He told me the ST elevation could mean possible MI, but said it was common in young males and my symptoms due to anxiety. True I have been stressed about school and I was very worried about this, but even after his reassurance and tried to relax, I still feel those constricted feelings in my chest. My doctor says it might be GERD, but I don't have any heartburn and taking a Zantac didn't seem to help. Could my problem be something quite serious? Should I see another doctor or would anxiety really cause all these odd symptoms?