Family Health Expert Forum
Chills

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Chills

Along with my arm hurting and my leg now but not for long in the morning..

I have the feeling of chills.. I don't really have the goosebumps that much but for a few days now on and off, and right now really bad, I feel very cold.. my back, arms, legs feel cold and my head feels hot. My face feels a little tingly too.

I check and check my temperature and its normal.

I went to bed early because I felt run down. There ARE times when I get the goosebumps but it is sooo uncomfortable because it feels like I am cold yet I have the house at a normal warm temperature.

I also have diarhea (diarrhea) right now, but I have that periodically, and it doesn't seem related to me. It is not bad and I get it on and off (supposedly IBS). I also have slight nausea at times but I have GERD so I don't know.. can GERD cause chills??

Q1: ** What could cause chills without fever?? **

I mean this is a very very uncomfortable thing to keep having sessions of chills for hours on and off for the last couple of days.

-- It has gotten worse last night and this morning, now I want to just go lay down, and feel sick and run down a little --.
As you have mentioned, fever due to infection are the most common causes of chills.  Other non-infectious causes of chills can include the following:

1) exposure to a cold environment can cause chills.
2) some medications - such as antifungals like Amphotericin - can cause chills.
3) reaction to a blood transfusion can cause chills.
4) an allergic reaction may cause chills.
5) thyroid dysfunction may also be resonsible for chills.

Note that the causes listed above are less common causes than fever and infection.  A thyroid test should be considered as it is reasonable easy to test for.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
My question to you is now, could i have a cancer of some sort causing chills and not fever.

Cancer cells release something to make fever and chills right..

I am very scared of cancers..

Lymphoma comes to mind on this one.

Here is what I have working for me I think to prove I don't have cancer:

(1) Chills without fever (the highest temp i seen was 98.9)
(2) Comprehensive Blood Analysis looks good.. (does that sound right.. there is standard and comp.. i had the comp i believe)

Would standard bloodwork rule out lymphoma??

Is there a certain test to rule out chill related cancers?? or even bone pain cancers..

thanks.
A related discussion, violent cold chills was started.
A related discussion, Follow-up was started.
A related discussion, Chills was started.