Family Health Expert Forum
Chronic Hydronephosis and Gastric Bypass

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I was recently diagnosed with having Chronic Hydronephrosis in my left kidney and I was also told that the left kidney has and obstruction and it is smaller than the right one.  I need to get some information on the different ways of treating this condition.   I am also interested in having a Gastric bypass and  need to know what complication if any will I suffer from having the bypass or is it possible to have the Gastric Bypass with this condition.
Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.
What you describe refers to a dilation of the ureter (tube connecting the kidney with the bladder). Many times this may be due to kidney stones or other problems with the ability of the kidney to "drain" properly. Nevertheless, this sounds like it has been a chronic problem for you and I suspect you may have had a problem with chronic infections in this area as well. (hence the damaged 'smaller' kidney) To my knowledge, the best way to "treat" this problem is to relieve the obstruction(s). A test known as an IVP would be a good place to start to determine if there is the presence of stones or other blockages. Urologists are the doctors who would evaluate the problem and would place a "stent" to help the kidney drain properly into the bladder if an obstruction was present.
Regarding the gastric bipass procedure. I do not suspect the condition you describe would affect your ability to be a candidate for this surgery. However, if there was and evidence of kidney failure or infection, I suspect the doctor would not allow you to proceed with this surgery until these problems were resolved. There is a good website to help answer these and other questions about the gastric bipass procedure. It is at www.obesityhelp.com.
I hope this helps.
1 Comment
I have had and IVP and an Ultrasound from which they discover a blockage.  I don't know what the normal size of kidney is but my left kidney is 11mm.  I do feel and have felt for a while colicky pain on my left side and I have a hard time sleeping on my left side for more than five minutes at a time.  I am waiting to have a CAT SCAN done on the 15 of June the Urologist is trying to rule out other posibilities like a tumor or endometriosis I doubt it has anything to do with that but we will see.  I hope that this problem does not cause me to lose my kidney.  I was already approve and schedule for may 16 for my gastric bipass but it was cancelled until they find out where the problem stems from.  Thank You for your response
I had a gastric bypass in the 3/99 I was 240 at that time and went down to 140. Now, since 2000 I have had 4 lithotripsy's 1 urethaotomy, and 1 pylo plasty. I never had problems before with my kidneys the only reason I had this surgery was to save my knees that are in the stage of osteoarthritis 4. They have pulled out over 28 stones when they did the pyloplasty and this is in the left kidney, the right one is not functioning at all. I have not been able to eat solid foods since 3/99. I have had IVP's, Barium tests and I just went in for my third EGD (they didn't knock me out so I was watching the whole thing....will never do that again). I have spent to many days and nights in the hospital for dehydration (yes I drink alot), and pnemonia (pneumonia). Since this surgery the ER doctors and my primary care doctor both agree that my body is slowly breaking down. They called it a slow death trap.
I have begged and pleaded with the doctor that did my surgery to help me. Instead of trying to help me he blames it on a personality disorder, which my main doctor says I don't have. I have severe depression setting in...you try going without food for 3 years, 4, months and 1 day and see how liquids stack up to it. I can tell you now there are not that many drinks that are good tasting to me anymore.
I am on disability now thanks to this mess. Is there any doctor that would be willing to go into court and testify about the complications on this surgery? And would they do it on contingencey?

I have been diagnosed with chronic hydronephrosis. Have completed all tests from IVP to cat scan. I had a stent put in but it did not work. Should I have a bypass and is it a difficult prcedure for a urologist or should I consult a nephologist. I am having moderate pain. thanks