Family Health Expert Forum
Contact Lenses

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Contact Lenses

I am suffering from Recurrent Erosion Syndrome in one eye due to a corneal injury I incurred about a year ago.  When it happens, it is very, very painful.  One method of dealing with this condition (among several ones) is the use of bandage contact lenses.  Now, I know that contact lenses come in different sizes and shapes, but my questions is:

Are there bandage contact lenses for patients who may have very small pupils because they (the patients) are very small, perhaps as small as midgets -- in fact, are there bandage contact lenses for midgets?

Sincerely and with many thanks.

Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum.
Bandage Contact Lenses (also called Hydrogel lenses) can be used to reduce discomfort from corneal epithelial defects, to protect the cornea from drying, or mechanical trauma, and to promote corneal wound healing. They are indicated for use with recurrent corneal erosion, corneal dystrophy, postoperatively or with a condition known as
The contact lens is fitted to one's eye based on the curvature of the cornea, known as the "Base Curve." Your pupil area has nothing to do with the size of the contact lens. Additionally, the pupil is well inside the eye, and thus has no bearing on the size of the contact lens. The standard "band-aid" contact lens will be sized in conjunction with the base curve of your eye. Your Optometrist, or Ophthalmologist (Ophthalmologists are more geared to disease, and surgery, Optometrists are geared more towards checking eyes, and fitting contact lenses) will know what you need, and fit you accordingly.

Blue skies!
A related discussion, Contact Lens? was started.