Family Health Expert Forum
Cord Sores and Newborns
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Cord Sores and Newborns

My son is seven weeks old and perfectly healthy.  However, I have a cold sore and it's nearly gone.  The communicable disease manual I have recommends that individuals with cold sores avoid any contact with newborns.  Other material I've found on the Internet advised just avoiding kissing and consider wearing a mask while the cold sore is present....which I have done since first realizing I've had a sore.  I realize that the HSV 1 virus is a common cause of encephalitis in newborns and I'm trying to be careful.  As you can imagine, not kissing your newborn even for a few days is very difficult.  

One of my biggest concerns is knowing when I am no longer contagious.   I realize that I could have inadvertently passed the virus along prior to having a visible sore. Some web resources have indicated that I should wear a mask only while I have a cold sore.  My communicable disease manual on the other hand states that "secretion of the virus in the saliva has been reported for as long as 7 weeks" after recovery from the cold sore.  I'd like to know if I still posed any type of risk?  It's been difficult to go a couple of days without kissing my son.  I'd hate to know I need to avoid doing so for 7 weeks.  

Seemingly, a cold sore is such a trivial thing and should not generate so much concern...I'm just trying to be careful, knowing there's nothing trivial about encephalitis.