Family Health Expert Forum
Cut on hand

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Cut on hand

Back in March, I sliced my finger on a blade of a blender while doing the dishes. There was a small flap of skin, but I did not go to the emergency room.  The cut was near the knuckle at the base of my pinky.  It healed without any problems.  The wound never got infected, and there is and never was no swelling or redness.  But to this date, there is still numbness going up to the middle of my finger.  Occassionally, there is still soreness around the cut area.  This I notice mostly when I use that hand a lot (playing flute, writing a lot, etc).  Is this something I should worry about?
Thank you for visiting the family practice forum.

It sounds like the laceration you sustained in March did affect some of the nerve fibers which innervate the finger. I would not call this "uncommon" in finger lacerations. The fingers are one of the most highly innervated (supplied by nerves) areas of the body. The good news is that these nerves to regenerate to some degree, however it is quite possible the numbness will persist for a while. I have several thoughts. Firstly, what you describe does not cause great reason for concern, other than the fact that you still have the numbness. (i.e. It won't get worse). Secondly, certain vitamins such as B12 and Folic Acid have been shown to be helpful with nerve regeneration. Thirdly, you may benefit from some treatments to the finger involved by an Occupational Therapist. There are different types of therapy aimed at "stimulating" the affected nerve(s) which may prove to be helpful.