Family Health Expert Forum
Cyst on head

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Cyst on head
I have a cyst on my head for years, it has gotten larger thru the years, been to doctor they said nothing to worry about. It does not hurt but when touched it is a little sensitive. It moved when I touched it was never hard like a rock. But the past couple of days now I'm feeling it, seems more mushy and to me like it went down a little. Could it be that it opened up inside and is this dangerous? It's not completely flat but feels like it went down. I had a friend that hers popped on the outside and her lump went away.thank you in advance for any info.
It’s hard to know without examining you and taking a look at the cyst, but it sounds like your physician thinks this is a sebaceous cyst.  They most often occur on the scalp. Sebaceous cysts are harmless and quite common.

It is possible that your cyst has begun to drain on its own. This is not dangerous -- it is part of the healing process. Often, sebaceous cysts will resolve without any intervention. Otherwise, it is possible for a physician to drain or surgically remove them.