Family Health Expert Forum
Dilated pupils in 8 yr. old

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Dilated pupils in 8 yr. old
I have an 8 yr. old son with temporal lobe epilepsy and Tourettes.  He is not on any medication at the moment.  I have noticed since the onset of these two conditions that his eyes are frequently very dilated and one is slightly more than the other.  A neurologist noticed this and consulted with another neuro, but after some discussion dismissed it.  His optometrist made no comment.  There are times his eyes appear normal in bright and low light, but the opposite at other times.  Other than medication and light, what else could be responsible for how our pupils respond?

Thank You
Dear KatieDee,

Thank you for visiting the Family Practice Forum

Mydriasis is a term used to describe widening or dilation of the pupil.
A related discussion, 11 y/o daughter, tourettes, dialated eyes, stomach pain was started.
A related discussion, dilation of pupil and epilepsy was started.