Family Health Expert Forum
Dilation of pupils

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Dilation of pupils

Dear Dr. Tomasello,
I am due to have my pupils dilated this week as part of my eye exam. I am in my 40's and have slightly elevated eye pressures (23). my visual fields were good, however. Because I am much of a "control freak" I am concerned about the blurring of vision that occurs for the dilation. How long can I expect my eyes to be blurred for, and how can I help myself stay calm while I "can't see"? I normally wear glasses that are progressives, so my vision isn't all that great without them.
Thank you,
Rascal
P.S. I searched the archives under eyes and found an entry where a person's pupils stayed dilated for almost 24 hrs..what would cause that?
Common Cycloplegics (pupillary dilators) include Atropine, Homatropine, cyclogyl and Mydriacyl.
Atropine is rarely used, and is quite toxic.
Maximum effect from multiple drops occurs in 12-24 hours
Homatropine is of the same family as atropine but is a synthetic
It is not as toxic or as potent as atropine but with a 3-4 day duration with maximal effect in 30 minutes to 2 hours. It is
more often used therapeutically to dilate pupil to prevent ciliary spasm in iritis
Cyclogyl (cyclopentolate) is the drug of choice for children
It is fairly potent and fairly fast acting
Mydriacyl (tropicamide) is the drop I have seen used most commonly. It is rapid acting typically the dilation resolves after 3-4 hours. It is possible if one of the older preparations was used that the duration could be longer (i.e. homatropine). Also, some people are more sensitive to the drops. More drops need to be used to get the same response in those whose iris (colored part of the eye) is dark.
You paid $20 to ask this?  Why didn't you just call your eye doctor and ask him or her?
are you the family practice forum police?
I can spend my money anyway I choose, but thanks for the valuable assessment. :)
Yes I am, and any time.

I was thinking you'd have been able to save yourself some money, which I indeed agree you may spend any way you like, but it seems a call to you eye clinic would have been simpler, cheaper, and more immediate.

Excuse me for trying to offer a little bit of frugal advice.  I can assure you it will not happen again.
Oh my goodness you two...
smile  :) its the holidays
Thanks Dr. Tomasello,
I found out my eye doctor is using the one that lasts 3-4 hrs. He is only concern is my eye pressures are around 23-24 (slightly elevated) but, I am no longer worried about the couple of hours of blurriness.
Thank you for the forum you have for us to ask questions.
Happy Holidays,
Rascal
<a href="http://www.ltcadvocate.org" target="_blank">.</a>