Family Health Expert Forum
Dizziness, weakness and other strange symptoms

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I had a bad case of dizziness on Jan. 26 and went to the ER. I also had very weird sensations in my limbs like they were very weak and heavy. They gave me an EKG and bloodwork and was told they were normal. A few days later, I developed a nasty cold. The cold ended up going to my chest and my Dr. prescribed Zithromax. I finished the Zithromax on Sunday.  On Monday while sitting at my desk at work, I had an attack of vertigo. I went to the Dr. and he said I probably had an inner ear virus. He gave me Meclizine and told me it may take a few weeks before I felt better. I have continued to have spells of dizziness/vertigo. When I went to bed last night, I started with shaking chills and broke out in a cold sweat. I fell asleep and woke up an hour later with the shaking chills but this time, my heart was beating very rapidly. I did not take my pulse but I imagine it was at least 150 bpm. After about 2 minutes, my heart rate went back to normal. I crawled back in bed and continued to have the cold chills/sweats. Again, I have no fever.  Does this sound like a typical inner ear virus? I can't imagine tachycardia occurs with a run of the mill virus.  I feel like it is something besides an inner ear infection and the real problem is being overlooked.  Perhaps some neurological disorder that follows an illness like a cold?  Meningitis? Today, I feel tired with weak limbs, cold, shaky and I feel like I have a hard time keeping my head up straight.  My neck is not stiff but it does feel strange.

Most cases of dizziness are due to an inner ear virus.  They are normally self-limited and resolve within a few weeks.  

However, if the symptoms continue, further imaging would need to be done to rule out a mass or other intracerebral disease.  This can be done with a head CT or MRI.  

Regarding the palpitations, a Holter monitor or event monitor can be done to evaluate for any arrhythmias.  An echocardiogram can also be considered to evaluate for any structural heart damage.  

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
1 Comment
I forgot to mention that whenever I am really ill, I often get tachycardia.  I just have never had it wake me before while sleeping which is why I am so scared.  I also suffer from occasional PVC's and have had a full heart workup including:  EKG's, Holter testing and echo.  All were normal.  I've had the tachy episodes caught before on Holter and EKG and the rhythm was normal every time, just fast.  What, besides fever (which I do not have), would cause tachycardia during a viral illness?  
A related discussion, Dizzy Spells and weakness was started.
A related discussion, bleeding between monthly periods was started.
A related discussion, Headaches and Dizziness but no fever was started.