Family Health Expert Forum
Do I have an STD?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Do I have an STD?

Dear Doctor,

In late January of this year, 2003, I developed a rash on my penis (glans (glands)), which followed unprotected sexual intercourse from what I
233190_tn?1278553401
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

Without seeing the lesion, it is impossible to say what it is.  

There are a variety of genital lesions that are possible. Infectious etiologies of genital ulcers include: herpes, chancroid (Haemophilus ducreyi), granuloma inguinale (Calymmatobacterium granulomatis), syphilis (Treponema pallidum), HIV-specific ulcers (acute HIV infection or late HIV), and lymphogranuloma venereum (Chlamydia trachomatis).

They can be properly evaluated and diagnosed by viral cultures, gram staining or blood tests.  

If the lesion is indeed herpes, then a remitting and recurring pattern would not be uncommon.  

You may want to consider a referral to a dermatologist for another opinion.

Without seeing the lesion, it is impossible for me to be more specific.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank