Family Health Expert Forum
Drinking Liver Question - Pulsating sensation under rib cage?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

This might not be a liver related question? Here goes.

I am a successful functioning 25 year old male. 210 lbs. / 6ft tall, husky build. Not out of shape individual but I could use a work out.

I drink often in general. More so then most kids, but not to the extent of health problems at age 25,
As surgeon has stated, the liver is on the right side of your body.  Causes of discomfort on the left side can include an ulcer, pancreatic disease, inflammation of the stomach or esophagus, or GERD.  The fact that you drink can increase the risk of inflammation or ulcers.  

An upper GI series or upper endscopy (more comprehensive) would be a reasonable place to start.  

In any case, if these symptoms are associated with alcohol, it would be a good idea to stop and see how the symptoms react.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
look again at the anatomy chart: your liver is on your right side. The rate of the squeezing could be contractions of your colon or small intestine; hard to say. Since you drink too heavily too often to be healthy, and since it only happens when you drink, how 'bout cutting back on your drinking and see how it goes. Not only the liver is affected by alcohol; the pancreas is, as are the intestines. I'd take it as a message from your body to treat it better. You are heading down a dangerous path.
Thanx! Point taken.
A related discussion, HElP. Liver Pulstaing was started.
A related discussion, pulsing liver was started.
A related discussion, Liver cysts was started.