Family Health Expert Forum
E. Coli possibility?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

E. Coli possibility?
My children and I ate lean ground beef hamburgers two days ago (that I prepared and thought had thoroughly cooked).  Halfway through dinner I realized they looked a little pink. I took them away but we all had eaten about half.

I am very concerned about possible e.coli infection. My children are 8 and 5.

I cooked the hamburgers on a skillet, stove-top, at a high heat, for at least 15-20 minutes, I pressed them, made sure the juice was clear, cut one in half (in the kitchen they looked beige/gray but in the dining room is where I noticed they looked pink).

I don't understand how they could still look pink after all that cooking.

What is the chance and how long is the incubation? Thank you.
Difficult to estimate what the chance of infection is.  Normally, beef can be eaten medium-rare with a small risk of infection.  

The incubation period can vary from days to weeks.  Any symptoms of diarrhea or loose bowel movements should be send to the lab for analysis and culture.

These questions can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Hi could one be hiv neg and have a undectable viral load after 5 years of a sexual assualt thinking hiv is my problem, after testing way beyond 4 years tks you