Family Health Expert Forum
Excessive yawning

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Excessive yawning

I have been yawning excessively for a week.  I yawn at least once every few minutes.  It seems to be slightly less if I'm lying down.  I am beginning to get headaches as well, but that could be from the overuse of my jaw (it and my throat are becoming quite painfull).

I called my doctor on Friday and she had me come in.  She put me on O2 for 15 minutes (10 l, via canula).  It did nothing to stop the yawning.

She suspects that I have sleep apnea and has scheduled me for a sleep study.  She also prescribed a med (can't remember the name) that narcoleptics and sleep apnea patients take to keep awake during the day.

I don't feel tired at all.  I mentioned this to her and she said that my brain is tired and this is the way it is trying to get my attention.

I don't want to second guess her, she's a great doc.  But I don't see how any of this is going to stop the yawning.  The sleep study isn't for two more weeks.  I DO NOT want to be yawning all the time for two more weeks!

Is there anything you can suggest?  Thanks for your help.
I would agree with the approach suggested by your physician.  Various disorders associated with excessive daytime sleepiness (apnea, narcolepsy) should certainly be considered.  Rarely, things like a heart attack or aortic dissection can also cause this symptom.

The sleep study is an appropriate test.  If there is evidence of apnea, a machine known as a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) device can be considered for treatment.

A referral to a pulmonologist can be considered for further evaluation.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
if you want to get an unbiased  second opinion from a doctor you shouldn't tell the second doctor what the first one said.