Family Health Expert Forum
Extreme symptoms after gallbladder removal

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

My wife is 33 years old and had her non-functioning gallbladder removed 20 days ago.  One week after the surgery she was feeling marked improvements in her attitude, and physical well being. This week she has been getting worse complaining of extreme fatigue in the mornings; attacks of tight throat which restricts her breathing (she believes them to be acid-reflux); wakes up in the night with extremely dry eyes (gummy eyelids and double
vision in one eye), dry mouth, dry throat, and three instances of a facial rash over two weeks that lasted about 30 minutes each. Today she has had two bouts of diarrhea.  This morning she told me she felt like she "was slowly dying".

Her GP prescribed her Cholestyramine last week for what he believed to be bile reflux, of which she has only taken one dose today.

From what I understand, bile reflux can be a problem particularly after gall bladder surgery.  Do these symptoms seem to correlate to such a diagnosis, especially the fatigue and dry mucus membranes?  How long should she expect to have such symptoms before she should be concerned about other diseases?

Thank you for any advice.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Friend,

Please find my answers -

1) Do these symptoms seem to correlate to such a diagnosis, especially the fatigue and dry mucus membranes?
                     Fatigue is really understandable. But the dry mucosa is due to the fact that she is hesitant. Normally the saliva keeps the mouth mucosa wet. but since she is scared of the regurgitation, she is not allowing the saliva come up and keep her mouth wet.

2) How long should she expect to have such symptoms before she should be concerned about other diseases?
                        I really won't be able to answer this one as i have not examined her myself. The surgery is done to help her get better. Hence i would suggest you to have a re-visit at the surgeon's clinic and discuss these issues with him, so as to have a proper understanding and solution to the unwanted problems.

Please let me know, if you have other concerns.
All the best