Family Health Expert Forum
Eyes

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Eyes

Almost two weeks ago I went to the doctor for eye problems.  I was diagnosed with pink eye.  I was given Oxuflux.  After eight days on the medication, I noticed little relief, although the discharge at night did go away.  My eyes were still red, itchy, and sensitive to light.  After reading the insert, I found that some of my symptoms were also side affects of the medication.  I decided to stop the medication.  The remaining redness in my eyes went away and the sensitivity to light seemed to fade away.  The only thing that still remained was occasional itching, but even that wasn't constant.  After about four days with no medication over the weekend, I went back to work.  I put on my contacts for the first time since I was diagnosed with pinkeye, went back to working on the computer in my office, and everything came back.  My eyes once again are extremely red and the light practically blinded me.  I never had problems with contacts or computers before, and I've been using both for many, many years.  What do I do to fix this problem?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

You note continuing eye problems despite antibiotics with Ocuflox.  There are several considerations.  

With bright light bothering you (this is called photophobia), this narrows down the list of causes.  They include a corneal abrasion, foreign body in the eye, a tear in the contact lens,  or a corneal ulcer.  Other possibilities includes iritis (an irritation of a muscle within the eye).  

In any case, this needs to be evaluated by an opthomologist.  A more detailed examination of the eye, including fluoroscein staining (to evaluate for a foreign body, or corneal abraison or ulcer) needs to be performed.  You may want to examine your contact lens for a tear (which may not be seen with the naked eye).

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
As a retired optician, I agree that you need the fluor-stain.
Few suggestions. Bacteria/infection transfers from tears to your
contacts. After all is cleared, REPLACE your contact-case w/ a
new one along w/ a fresh solution bottle. Bottle tip can transfer
things. REPLACE softlenses & have hard & permeables cleaned at
the ofc. Always wash hands thorough before using contacts. The
key word is `sterile'. You only have one pair of eyes! To speed
up eye comfort, try a hot/cold pack dropped in a clean-thick
cotton sock. (sweat sox!) Wet well & micro 15-30 secs. @ a time
till warm. Moist heat is VERY helpful even for allergy eyes.
Replace all make-up that may have the organisms, especially
mascara. That should be new tube ea. 3 mo. max. Make sure the
sock or cloth is newly washed after ea. day of use.