Family Health Expert Forum
FSH level and menopause

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

FSH level and menopause

Hello -

In the last two months I have seen 2 doctors for my irregular periods ( I'm 30 yrs old). One of them says i could have a hypothalmus problem which will make it necessary for me to take drugs to ovulate in order to have a pregnancy and the other doctor says I could be entering menopause. I desperatly want to have a child so this is devastating news to me. This doctor says my FSH was elevated (12).  How accurate could this test be because it was done randomly and I've been told you need to have it done on the 3rd day of your cycle?  Also, how could two different gynecologists look at my medical chart and come up with 2 different diagnosis? Finally, if I am entering menopause would there still be enough time for me to try and get pregnant immediately?  Should I see someone about having my eggs frozen or having eggs removed and fertilized and frozen for later use?

Thank you,
Jennifer
Either cause could be the reason for the irregular periods - i.e. a hypothalamus problem can cause premature menopause.  

Normal FSH can be between 2-15 depending on the part of the cycle it ws taken.  More tests are needed to evaluate the irregular periods.  Minimal laboratory testing should include measurements of serum prolactin and thyrotropin to rule out hyperprolactinemia, thyroid disease, and ovarian failure (high serum FSH in primary ovarian disease).

Before considering menopause, here is the criteria:  three months of amenorrhea, oligomenorrhea, or dysfunctional uterine bleeding in association with FSH levels in the menopausal range.  I would obtain a definitive diagnosis (i.e. obtaining the lab tests I mentioned above) before deciding on further action with your eggs.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.