Family Health Expert Forum
Fast weight gain

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Fast weight gain

Three month ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism; I am currently on levothiroxin sodium 25 mg a day. I was feeling great, better than ever, I honestly felt better. But now three months after I go to the scale and I gained 25 pound! As you can imagine I am going nuts, I cant believe this happened to me I eat healthy and work out 6 time a week, and all of my clothes fit the same in fact I feel like they fit better. I have always dealt with extra pounds but kept it under control. But this tome is unexplainable. I also lost 9% body fat and I am constantly cold. The last time I weighted my self was a month from today feb 28 and I was 167 yesterday I was 185. I think I would have noticed the weight gain. I am currently con a 1200 cal diet and working out. Can you please help me explain this. I ma so sad I
The symptoms you describe are consistent with hypothyroidism.  The severity of the hypothyroidism can also correlate with the symptoms.  

I would ensure that the 25 mcg of thyroid medication is enough.  Obtainin a repeat TSH level should be able to determine this.  

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

A referral to an endocrinologist can be considered to evaluate for other endocrinological conditions (i.e. Cushing's disease or polycystic ovarian syndrome).

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_b
i would think a 25lb weight gain would be noticable....maybe it's your scale
Thanks I appreciate it!
Muscle weighs more than fat and if you have been working out and the key here is your clothes still fit.........be happy! You are healthy by the sound of it.