Family Health Expert Forum
Fatigue after surgery

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Fatigue after surgery

1 1/2 years ago, I injured my knee (dislocated my patella), and had a TTT, Lateral Release, VMO advancement and a new trochlear goove dug.  I also had severe chondromalacia that was cleaned up over the entire back of my patella.  This surgery was last Apirl.  I developed a mass of scar tissue, and had a scope last June to remove it, and do some more clean up work.  I had general anesthesia both times.

Here's my question:  I have suffered from fatigue and lethargy ever since along with joint aches, headaches and heat intolerance (I feel hot most of the time...).  I have seen my GP and the Ortho, and they both said to just give it time, and will not do any blood work, or further testing. The GP suggested that it is from inactivity. Well, I go PT 3 times a week for about 2 hours, doing strength training, riding a stationary bike for 10-15 mintues and a seated stair-climber for another 10-15 minutes so I work up quite a sweat. Plus, I maintian my home PT.  Quite honestly, I haven't been this active since my injury, so that explanation does not make sense to me.  They both dismiss the notion that the surgeries might have "knocked me for a loop", and neither is concerned.  I am very concerned, however!  I feel pretty rotten most of the time - I have dark circles under my eyes no matter how much sleep I get, and I feel like I need a nap every afternoon.  I am WAY too young to feel SO OLD (I am a 39 year old female).

Could this be from the anesthesia this far along?  Could the NSAIDS do this??  Any ideas to help me feel better would be welcomed!!
It is unlikely that anesthesia would still be affecting you this far from the surgery.  There are many possibilities for the symptom of fatigue - including thyroid disorders (which can also cause heat intolerance), rheumatoid disorders, kidney and liver diseases, anemia, infection etc.

As a start, I would consider tests for thyroid, ANA and ESR level (looking for rheumatological disease), blood count, liver tests, HIV test and a chemistry panel.

If you are not comfortable with your GP's assessment, you may want to consider another opinion.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
A related discussion, Fatigue after knee surgery was started.