Family Health Expert Forum
HERPES?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

HERPES?

I RECENTLY WENT TO A MASSAGE PLACE AND HAD A SHOWER TYPE MASSAGE. DURING THE SHOWER WITH WATER AND SOAP MY PENIS WAS RUBBED ON THE OUT SIDE OF THE VAGINA. (5 MIN) IT DID NOT PENETRATE THE VAGINA.  I COULD NOT SEE IF THERE WERE SORES OR NOT. A FEW DAYS LATER A RED RAW AREA SHOWED UP ON MY PENIS ABOUT HALF THE SIZE OF A DIME. (JUST WHERE THE SHAFT TURNS INTO THE PENIS HEAD) THE SURROUNDING PENIS HEAD WAS ALSO REDDEND.  IT SEEMED TO BE A RAW IRRITATED AREA  THERE ALSO SEEMED TO BE A SLIT OR TEAR ON MY FORSKIN SURROUNDED BY RED SKIN. PAINFULL, BUT RAW. I APPLIED A LANOLYN BASED CREAM ONTO THE AREA AND IT SEEMED TO CLEAR UP AFTER THREE - FOUR DAYS.  NOW THERE SEEMS TO BE LIGHT SCARRING ON BOTH MY PENIS AND FORESKIN.  THERE WAS NEVER ANY SIGN OF THE TYPICAL HERPES BLISTERING BUT IT DID SEEM LIKE A LEISION. I DID NOT HAVE A FEVER OR SWOLEN LYMPH NODES ETC. THERE ARE SO MANY SYMTOMS (symptoms) OF HERPES ON THE INTERNET I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK.  I WENT TO A CLINC AFTER SEVERAL DAYS A DID A SWAB OF THE AREA - CAME BACK NEGATIVE - BUT THE AREA HAD FOR THE MOST PART CLEARED UP.  DURING THIS WHOLE EPISODE I DON'T KNOW WHEITHER IT WAS STRESS OR AFTER TOUCHING THE AREA AND TOUCHING MY EYE, MY EYE BECAME IRRITATED - SORE FOR TWO DAYS (LOWER EYE LID) THEN IT WOULD APPEAR THAT A BLOOD VESSEL BROKE IN MY EYE LID LEAVING ME WITH A BLACK EYE - IS THIS A HERPES EYE INFECTION OR JUST STRESS ABOUT THE SORE SPOT ON MY PENIS.  AFTER THE AREA CLEARD UP I HAVE ALSO HAD BACK & MUSCEL PAIN - STRESS? WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF GENITAL HERPES - NO WATER FILLED BLISTERS?- NO HERPES. I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS TYPE OF PENIS IRRITATION BEFORE. PLEASE HELP
Studies show that people with genital herpes usually had multiple, bilateral, ulcerating, pustular lesions which resolved after a mean of 19 days.  Local pain and itching, burning on urination, and tender lymph nodes were also present in some cases.  It is tough for me to say what they were without seeing them.

As for testing, options to consider would be swabbing the lesion and sending for culture, as well as taking some blood tests to examing for herpes type-specific serologies.  

These options for diagnosis can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b