Family Health Expert Forum
HIGH PLATELETS

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

HIGH PLATELETS
BLOOD WORK DONE-PLATELETS-769--RBC COUNT-5.61--WBC-10.4
HEMOGLOBON--17.1--POTASSIUM--6.1.QUIT SMOKING 4 MONTHS AGO-
DRINK 5 DRINKS A NIGHT.HAD BONE MARROW DONE CAME BACK NEG
A negative bone marrow biopsy would make a blood disorder or cancer less likely.

However, there can be many reasons for an elevated platelet count.  This can include various types of cancer, infection or inflammatory process.

There is too little information here to determine the cause.  Discussing the possibility of the aforementioned processes should be done with your personal physician.

Also noted is a markedly elevated potassium level.  This needs to be addressed, since a potassium that high can have negative cardiac effects.

These questions should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
I too have VERY high blood platelets.  517 where normal is 130-382.  I am waiting to hear back from my doctor about the results, so when I do, I will let you know what the consensus is.  Its kind of scary, but being that I was in the hospital yesterday for 8 hours under treatment for kidney stones (not the reason for the high platelet count), they let me go, so it can't be TOO bad.  

Unfortunately the ER doctor didn't give me an explanation and said I would have to speak to my GP.  So I will let you know what happens.

Chris in Md.
update-doctor put me on hydroxyurea 500mg-once a day.to lower platelet count
A related discussion, HIGH PLATELETS was started.
A related discussion, High Blood Platelets was started.