Family Health Expert Forum
Hard Lump on middle of forehead under skin on skull

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

I hit my head on the corner of a bookshelf  3 months ago and every since then I have had a lump on my forehead.  It is very hard and does not move and it seems to be under the skin and on the skull.  It does not hurt and I did not blackout or get sick or anything after hitting my head.  The skin is not broken.  It doesnt seem to bother me in any way except it just looks funny and it is about the side of a nickel.  I did not treat the area after hitting the bookshelf, but I have put Ice packs on it on several different occasions within the last month to see it it would help but it did not seem to help at all.  What can I do about it.  If I was to see a doctor what type of doctor would I consult. Thank you for your time.  
Since it has been quite a while and the lump has not resolved, I would consider getting a CT scan to rule out a skull fracture, or bony cyst due to the trauma.  It's hard to tell without examining you, or knowing how hard you hit your head, but a CT should tell you if it anything significant.  You can see your primary care doctor to arrange the test, and then he/she can refer you to someone else if necessary.

Good luck.
JMK MD
A related discussion, Hematoma Bump on Forehead was started.