Family Health Expert Forum
Head numbness/pressure

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Head numbness/pressure

I am a male, 68. About 35 yrs ago I started having numbness in my head. I cannot relate the start of it to any event in my life. It is not a pain/ache. It’s like a slight pressure, a foggy numbness feeling in the front part of head, eye level, on both sides of the head. Sort of like someone would feel without a nights sleep. It is mostly through out the day. Sometimes light, sometimes strong, sometimes, but not very often and for a short time, it would be gone completely and I would not know why.
I thought I might have a brain tumor. I went through a lot of tests and head CT scan, no tumor was found and the docs. said that it is probably do to stress. I have lived a good life, I had no stress. I then went to a Chiropractor. No help. After that I told myself that if nothing can be done and it is not life threatening I would just live with it and make the best of life.
I do not have sinus problems, dizziness, or nausea. Not affected by the weather. I do have ringing in my ears at my age. I also take med for high blood pressure Years ago I was diagnosed with Raynaud’s Phenomenon. As I say this I am thinking that I have never had a doctor discuss Raynaud’s with me concerning the numbness in my head. About a year ago, a doc. stated that I might have Sleep Apnea. The sleep test showed that I did. I had great expectations that this would be the end of my head numbness. After 6 months of using the CPAP mask  I still have the head numbness. I am not giving up. I think that the CPAP will work, I now wake up because I have to go to the bathroom 5 or 6 times a night. Next week I am going to an Urologist. If he can somehow do something so that I do not have to get up many times a night I hope that I can then get a good nights sleep. And also get rid of this head numbness.
I hope my story is helpful to those with this head numbness/pressure problem and also helpful to the MedHelp Doctors.

Please respond to me here at this form or at halltrade at yahoo.com
I agree with the workup thus far.

Further brain imaging can be done with a brain MRI which is a more sensitive test than a CT scan.  

An ENT referral can also be considered to exclude sinus disease, which can lead to the symptoms you describe.  Imaging the sinuses can be done with a CT scan.  

I would consider a neurology or ENT referral at this point to discuss these options.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com