Headaches and pain behind ears
I am a 30 year old healthy female. About a month ago I started having headaches, mostly in the back part of my head and into my neck on both sides. Along with the headaches I also have some dizziness and a sensation of a loss of balance.  It has been about a month and the headaches continue. On and off I have had this pain behind my ear and jawbone, radiating down my neck. It is similar to the feeling I get after blowing up balloons. It feels swollen, not to the touch but it is a sensation of being swollen, especially when I swallow. It didn't seem that bad at first but now it's really bad. I don't think I have an ear infection or anything. It doesn't actually hurt inside my ears like an earache would. I don't have a fever or any other kind of congestion, so it doesn't seem like cold or an allergy problem. I've never had any real allergies before but recently moved to a new area so maybe I am exposed to something that I was not before. I also had a complete blood workup a few months ago to check for possible rheumatoid arthritis. Everything looked normal. I am at a loss as to what this is. It's really starting to be painful and I am concerned about the continuous headaches. Any advice?
I would consider imaging and a neurology referral at this point.

Headaches combined with a loss of balance can be indicative of tumors or masses affecting the cerebellum, as well as a vestibular neuroma.  

A head CT or MRI would be the reasonable next step.  If negative, a referral to an ENT physician can be considered to look at the sinuses.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a neurologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_