Family Health Expert Forum
Headaches and pain behind ears

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Headaches and pain behind ears

I am a 30 year old healthy female. About a month ago I started having headaches, mostly in the back part of my head and into my neck on both sides. Along with the headaches I also have some dizziness and a sensation of a loss of balance.  It has been about a month and the headaches continue. On and off I have had this pain behind my ear and jawbone, radiating down my neck. It is similar to the feeling I get after blowing up balloons. It feels swollen, not to the touch but it is a sensation of being swollen, especially when I swallow. It didn't seem that bad at first but now it's really bad. I don't think I have an ear infection or anything. It doesn't actually hurt inside my ears like an earache would. I don't have a fever or any other kind of congestion, so it doesn't seem like cold or an allergy problem. I've never had any real allergies before but recently moved to a new area so maybe I am exposed to something that I was not before. I also had a complete blood workup a few months ago to check for possible rheumatoid arthritis. Everything looked normal. I am at a loss as to what this is. It's really starting to be painful and I am concerned about the continuous headaches. Any advice?
I would consider imaging and a neurology referral at this point.

Headaches combined with a loss of balance can be indicative of tumors or masses affecting the cerebellum, as well as a vestibular neuroma.  

A head CT or MRI would be the reasonable next step.  If negative, a referral to an ENT physician can be considered to look at the sinuses.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician, or in conjunction with a neurologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_