Family Health Expert Forum
Hearing Pulse in Ear
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hearing Pulse in Ear

Thank you for taking my question. I have researched my problem online, and am not sure I fit into the category of pulsatile tinnitus.  I am 35, female and always had allergies and sinus problems. In the past two weeks we have vacationed up in the mountains and done a lot of swimming.  I generally have ear infections in the summer months.  Two years ago I had an MRI done because of headaches and it was normal.  Last summer, while pregnant, I had an episode of vertigo that Neurology at UF diagnosed as BPV, no scan was done because of the pregnancy and because when they doctor tilted my head a certain way the vertigo started.  It cleared on its own.  Now my problem is in the opposite ear.  I noticed at bedtime I could faintly hear my pulse in my left ear, I don't hear it any other time except while laying in bed and even that isn't constant.  It does seem better with my steroid nasal spray and Advil Sinus. An internet search brings up some pretty frightening things, but I'm not sure that occasionally hearing your pulse in your ear is something that would be classified as pulsatile tinnitus?  I had extensive hearing tests done by an ENT shortly after I had my son because of the episode of BPV, and my hearing was excellent.  Is it normal to occasionally hear your pulse?  I'm thinking due to my sinus and allergy problems, I may have some fluid in my ear?  I can ocassionally hear it in my right ear if I have just ran up a flight of stairs?  I am really worried about this and will see my family doctor if it persists - but I wanted to gather your input.  Thank you.