Family Health Expert Forum
Hemorrhoids

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Hemorrhoids

Hi.  I am a healthy 31 year old male.  I first had a hemorrhoid pop up about 10 years ago in college, induced from straining.  It subsided on its own after a few weeks.  They have reoccurred a few times over the years, but always went away.  About two years ago, I seemed to suffer from some winter constipation, my doctor said I had mild IBS.  I increased fiber and water in my diet.  I am regular and do not to strain anymore.  That being said, the anal area has been a bit puffy/swollen with hemorrhoids since that time, so its been about two years.  They do not bleed or hurt or appear to have gotten any worse.  But they won't go away.  I use moist wipe clothes now instead of paper, never strain, and have tried hydrocortisone and other OTC meds, with little help.  I would like them gone and was wondering what is the easiest, most effective treatment options.  To my knowledge I do not have internal hemorrhoids, just external.  I made an appt with my primary care doc for Monday.

Thanks.
There are several treatment options for hemorrhoids, but if what you have is simply a skin tag from an old external hemorrhoid that has now healed, and it is not giving you any trouble, it may not be worth it to have a procedure to remove it.   You should have your physician take a look on Monday, because you may have prolaspsed internal hemorrhoids which are not painful. Procedures like banding, laser, and sclerotherapy can be used to treat such hemorrhoids.  I would discuss these options with your primary care doctor, and get a referral to a surgeon if appropriate.
In the meantime, and for the long haul, continue to get lots of fiber (about 30g/day), exercise, and drink lots of water, to prevent your stools from being hard and therefore preventing the need to strain.

Good luck.
JMK MD