Family Health Expert Forum
Hip, leg pain and foot numbness

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Hip, leg pain and foot numbness

For the last 2 weeks I have experiencing pain in my hip and down my leg.  Now my foot has become numb.  Lately when I walk I have a very painful throb in my calf. The pain is so unbearable at times that I can't stand it. I sit at my desk for at least 8 hours.  Could that be related to the pain that I am having?
It may be possible that the foot pain is related to lower back, especially if there is pinched nerve or herniated disk present.  

An MRI can be considered to evaluate for any disk disease.  If negative, a referral to a neurologist can be considered for electrodiagnostic testing.  

I would consider a referral to an orthopedist or neurologist for further evaluation.  If this is due to sciatica, initial treatment would include anti-inflammatories and physical therapy.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_

My mom suffers from chronic leg pain, and we have seen any number of doctors...

I have been doing some (amateur) research on various types of leg pain and have put up a web page with a good number of resources and links for the same - http://www.billdoll.com/dir/health/q/leg_pain.html

Check out if that page is of use to you - it has been put up for those suffering from chronic leg pain, but I have provided related resources as well

Hope this is of help, best of luck!

NS
About 2 months ago, I have started experiencing some hip pain that radiated down my leg.  I would feel this at night when i laid on that side.  Now my pain is noticeable when i have sat for any length of time or if I am up on my feet for a while.  My lower back on the same side is bothering me as well.  I am writing to see if anyone else is going through this and if they have had any diagnosis for it.
A related discussion, leg numbness was started.