Family Health Expert Forum
Histamine effects muscles or not?

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Histamine effects muscles or not?

I have noticed an increased discomfort of neck muscles and "trouble spots" of my cervical arthritis when our pollen count is up. Pollen is a problem in the area I live. I tend to feel alot of tension muscle discomfort during times of high allergens about. Is the a link to histamine release and muscle discomfort? I also wonder if the humidity plays a role, as the pollen and humidity tend to go hand in hand. I have tried various RX anti-imflamatories with limited results or difficult tolerance and tend to use over the counter aspirin and such. I am wondering if antihistamines would help this literal "pain in the neck"?
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

There are no consensus trials examining antihistamines in the regulation of pain.  I did a little research and found some basic research studies involving mice.  

A Japanese study concluded the following:
"Histamine plays an important role in both somatic and visceral pain perceptions through histamine H(1) receptors." (1)

H1 blockers (i.e. antihistamines such as Benadryl) are available over the counter and are safe to try.  Again, there is no data suggesting that it works - research is in its early stages - but there are anecdotal reports suggesting efficacy in some patients.  

Another consideration would be a referral to a rehabilitiation specialist (physiatrist).  They may be able to evaluate the potential for recovery and optimize management of your pain.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.

Bibliography:
1) Mobarakeh JI, et al.  Role of histamine H(1) receptor in pain perception: a study of the receptor gene knockout mice.  Eur J Pharmacol 2000 Mar 10;391(1-2):81-9.  
1 Comment
Thanks for looking up "stuff". Worth a try. It's just weird.