Family Health Expert Forum
Hit to head and eye twitching

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Hit to head and eye twitching

Dear Doctor:

Five days ago, I was accidentally hit on the right side of my head by someone's elbow.  It was very painful, but did not cause a concussion, vomiting or serious injury that I was aware of at the time.  A day and a half later, my right eye began twitching and I noticed that the side of my head was very sore when I opened my mouth wide or used my jaw muscles.  ( I am in very good health and have never had an injury to that eye.)  It is very sore to the touch also.  Before jumping to a terrible conclusion, is it possible that the eye twitching is related to the hit to my head and does this indicate that the injury is more severe than previously thought?

Thank you for your response-

I would image the head to ensure there is no cerebral damage from the injury. A head CT would be a reasonable at this point.

If negative, muscle spasm from the injury can lead to the symptoms you describe.  

I would have this evaluated by your personal physician.  If a neurological cause is suspected, you can be referred to a neurologist to discuss head imaging.  A referral to an ophthalmologist can be done as well to evaluate the eye symptoms.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com