Family Health Expert Forum
How do I tell my 3 1/2 year old daughter that I am her father?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

How do I tell my 3 1/2 year old daughter that I am her father?

I have a beautiful 3 1/2 year old daughter that I just found out about in March of this year. My question is how do I tell hr so she understands that I am her father? The details behind why it took so long for me to find out are rather lengthy and complicated. Here are the basics: She was born in August of 2009 and calls my ex's new husband daddy and it breaks my heart. I know that he is all she has ever know as daddy but I am trying to be in her life now that I know about her. I am not mad at her for this as she had nothing to do with the whole situation, but I need her to know who I am. I need help
5614495_tn?1371832804
This sounds like a really challenging situation and I wish I had a good answer for you. I don’t know enough about the situation and your relationship with your ex to be able to advise you appropriately, but a few questions I have are: how sure are you that she is your daughter -- for example, have you done DNA testing? Does your ex’s new husband know that you are her father?  Does your ex want you involved in her daughter’s life? I would recommend you start by talking openly with your ex about the situation and come up with the best plan for the long-term health of your daughter.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank