Family Health Expert Forum
Hysterectomy Scar
About This Forum:

Questions in the Family / Internal Medicine forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Topics covered include general health issues, adolescence, babies, child health, eating disorders, fitness, immunizations and vaccines, infectious diseases, medical tests and procedures, and senior health.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Hysterectomy Scar

15 years ago, I had a hysterectomy, salpingectomy and oophorectomy.  The incisional scar has never been soft.  I have never been able to lay on my stomach because the pressure hurts too much.  The scar and the area around the scar for about an inch or so on each side is hard.  This feeling also extends inward.  It feels like I'm carrying a weight in my abdomen.  I know many women who have had like surgeries and their scars are soft and pliable.  Mine is heavy and hard and seems to weigh my abdomen downward.  What is my trouble?  Adhesions?  Abnormal growth?
Related Discussions
233190_tn?1278553401
One consideration would be a keloid.  A keloid is an overgrowth of dense fibrous tissue that usually develops after healing of a skin injury. The tissue extends beyond the borders of the original wound, usually does not regress spontaneously, and tends to recur after excision.

As surgeon has mentioned below, a hernia is also possible.  I would suggest a referral back to a plastic surgeon to see if treatment for a keloid is to be considered (i.e. repeat surgery or possible steroid injection).  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
1 Comment
Blank
Some people form excessive scar tissue, particularly what's called a keloid. Generally that is seen as a very thick and prominent leathery scar on the skin. What's going on underneath could be various things, most likely related to scar tissue: but it could also be hernia, chronic lowgrade infection, etc. The way to find out, and to learn if anything can be or ought to be done is to be seen by a surgeon.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
Aug 28 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank